Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Thoughts on Race

I read an article ... No wait, I actually read a couple of articles this morning that were not sports related. One was about local performance art. The other was about Colorado's flagship educational institution. Both have racial components that got me to thinking about race and racial tensions, etc, etc, etc. Being a mostly logical person, I tend to rely on logic when making decisions or coming to conclusions and determining my feelings on any particular topic. Scientifically speaking, the only differentiation for homo sapiens is physiological. And the physiological differences between people are the result of thousands of years of environmental influences. Given those facts, the term 'race' is actually misused. We are all the same race, just different shades and slightly different appearances. And since we're all the same, its illogical to discriminate against a person because they may be a paler or a darker(or, in my case, just sexier). I've met racist people. Some belligerent, some insensitive all illogical. Illogical people should be disregarded. Unfortunately, not every disregardable person is in a disregardable position, which, regrettably, lends to great and unfortunate injustices perpetuated in a potentially great and just country. Don't get me wrong, I love this country. There are so many great things about America, but why settle for less than complete greatness? Obviously, we've come a long way, made a lot of advancements, blah blah. Still got a long way to go.

1 comment:

GETkristiLOVE said...

I agree - I'm not a Ferengi or a Cardassian. We're all of the human race. Most are just asshole humans. Speaking of which, where are your top five Star Trek Monsters??!!