Friday, February 10, 2006

Pulp Fiction: Best movie of the past two decades?


Its been about 12 years since our dawg Q. Torrentino brought us a twisted intertwining tale of two philosophical hitmen, a proud end of his rope boxer, a sweet couple of psychotic two bit criminals and a crime boss with a hole in his head, among others. Life is full of little disappointments - like the 'new' Beetle; unless yer a woman, or gay. My dad had one of the original love Bugs in the seventies and I thought that was the coolest thing. He also had a motorcycle which I, again, thought was cool, up until I burned my bloody leg on the stupid exhaust pipe. And I digress. - but this movie wasn't one of them. Pulp Fiction is a landmark film. A nearly exhausting experience that was consumed eagerly, breathlessly; each moment an anticipation that surpassed expectation. I recall taking two different dates to the film within two days and seeing it three times in the span of a week. Only the Matrix came close to Pulp Fiction in engendering an almost childish glee during its mesmerizing exposure. Its arguable that the reception received by Pulp Fiction paved the way for similar films to be made. Like Sin City, Fight Club, and, you know, others.... (Hey, I'm a blogger not a bloody film student).

I'm sure there were films that fell way short of the grandeur of Pulp Fiction back in the mid nineties, however, I can't recall them. Its easier to reference the crap that is coming out lately. I.e. 'When a Stranger Calls', 'Big Mama's House 2' - Big Mama two?!?! Was there really a clamoring for Big Mama 2??!? - , 'The Pink Panther', blah blah, crap crap, etcetera, etcetera, and so forth, and so on.

Its movies like Pulp Fiction, Unforgiven, Shawshank (unfortunate title) and the Matrix that I pine for today. Not 'Final Destination 14' or remakes of classic films that really can't be improved upon.... Well, King Kong was groovy, but its a definite exception.

Top Five Stupid Films that should be the impetus for administering severe beatings to the low life scum responsible for conning me out of my precious funds.

1) The Thirteenth Floor - The only movie that actually caused me to turn to my date and exclaim 'What the F*&#@?!' and walk out. This film was so bad that it actually caused me stomach pains. Not recommended for the elderly nor postal workers.
2) Little Nicky - Ok, so I knew this film would be bad going in, but OH LORD! I guess I'm the one up for severe beatings in this case... Though, sitting thru this piece of work is pushing the cruel and unusual in the punishment category.
3) Valiant - Having kids, I have incorporated kiddy films into my film diet. This travesty should be shot, er, you know, if it weren't, ah, already a lifeless, um, concept kind of thing. And no, SC, it isn't due to my unnatural hatred for pigeons.
4) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Rubbish! What a bloody travesty! No wonder Alan Moore hates Hollywood. This film is so bad that I am half way convinced that Sean Connery was actually body snatched. Or perhaps someone was holding his Scotch and Penthouse magazines hostage.
5) Batman and Robin - I remember the Guvnah saying he was hired to take the Batman franchise over the top. I'm not sure if he meant over the top of the toilet bowl, but this stinker was less entertaining then watching a camode flushing. Thank the Bale for Beginning again.

1 comment:

GETkristiLOVE said...

Hail to the Q! And for once, I'm not referring to Star Trek. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill are pure genius!