Thursday, September 14, 2006

Call Me Grendel!!

While I’ve heard of the epic poem Beowulf, describing the struggles of some barbaric tribesman against, basically, a monstrous brat and his single and monstrous mom, I’d never heard of this story as told from the perspective of the aforementioned monstrous brat, aka, Grendel. So, when I saw this book and read a few pages, I thought I’d give it a go.

So far I’m quite impressed. Don’t be expecting a critique here, as I’m a ‘not a tiny bit interested in writing any kind of in depth critiques’ kind of blogger, however, I will say that Grendel, as portrayed by John Gardner, is becoming one of my all time favorite monster’s.

I mean, what is not to like? He’s cynical, crafty, insane, loves his mommy, hates his mommy, monstrous, laughs at stupidity, hates stupidity, stamps out stupidity, recognizes beauty, hates discrimination, loathes people, and is surprisingly polite (to trees).

In fact, he’s my new role model, well, except for the whole eating people and living with your mother part.

Side note, Matt Wagner also created a literary Grendel, who may be a little less known, but interesting nonetheless.

No comments: