Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I may have misjudged

The other day I’m sitting in my cube and my buddy SC calls me over. ‘Here’, SC says, ‘Read this email and tell me if you see anything odd.’ So, being as I’ve already been called away from my desk where I had been just on the verge of a monumental breakthrough in the advancement of lazy-ing thru the day, I decide to comply. Here is the email I was reading (partially, at least) with PDF attachment of a brochure:

Hello all! I am sending this brochure to you in hopes that you or someone you know would love the opportunity to golf on the prestigious and private golf course of Pradera in Parker. Only home owners in Pradera and members that pay a minimum of $20K for a membership can golf here. Therefore allowing the great opportunity for anyone that is an avid golfer and loves to try out all the courses in Colorado to get on board... However, the main reason and focus of this tournament, is to donate to the Freedom Foundation. A foundation that is up and coming in the county of Douglas which assists those in need. It will allow funding for many good services the foundation is already active in in this community and will allow the opportunity to reach out to other counties as well... I am a member of the Freedom Foundation and the Blacks on the back of the brochure are personal friends of mine. .......

Attached to the back of the brochure was this picture.



My first thought was ‘Are you kidding me?’ I mean, aside from the grammatical errors and the stunted and awkward speaking, does anything, you know, RACIST like, stand out to you? I mean, is it now ok to, you know, refer to people by the hue of their skin? And why does this family have to be on the BACK of the brochure!??! Why can’t they be on the front? Or the middle? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DREAM, MAN!! THE DREAM!!

Then, in the midst of my King like (and mostly, melodramatic) rant, I am told this:

‘Dude, that is the name of the family. The Blacks.’

Oh, the irony nearly flattened me.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hil.Ar.Ious.